4.28.2010

bakin' a cake

This past weekend was my husband's birthday, and so I went on my first cake-making extravaganza in a while. I had been feeling pretty low-energy from work, and it translated into little creativity on my part. But now I am back on my game, and ready to create.

Like many of us, my husband is a fan of both monkeys and sea otters. So birthday cake #1 was a monkey sitting on a pile of bananas, and #2 was a 3-D sea otter. They were not the most beautiful cakes ever made, but you have to consider two things: (1) I have no artistic ability whatsoever, and (2) I am really out of practice. The reality is, I simply find joy in baking, decorating, creating. The outcome doesn't have to be perfect or even beautiful (although it's nice when that happens too); it just has to be. I love creating for the sake of creating. And I love creating for people I love.

There are some cake and icing recipes I particularly love, and that work well for structural or sculptural cakes.

My favorite (easy) recipe for dense cakes (allows for easy carving and is delicious):
  • 1 box Duncan Hines cake mix - white, yellow or chocolate
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 TB cornstarch
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 4 extra large eggs
  • 2 TB vegetable oil
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 t. butter extract
  • 1 1/2 cup warm water

In large bowl, combine cake mix, flour, cornstarch, baking powder - whisk.

In separate bowl, combine eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla, butter extract and water - stir.

Pour liquid mix over dry mix. Beat on low for 3 minutes. Grease pans well with shortening and flour. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 -45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


My favorite buttercream icing recipe for decorating use (it holds its shape as it's piped, makes a solid crumb coat and tastes great):
  • 2 lb. bag of powdered/confectioner's sugar
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 2 sticks butter cut into 1/2 inch slices
  • 2 1/4 c. vegetable shortening
  • *If flavor other than plain buttercream is desired, add orange, almond, lemon, lime, etc. extract to taste, 3 oz. of chocolate chips, or 1 - 2 TB (or to taste) of any liquor.
Whisk confectioner's sugar, salt, vanilla & milk on low until smooth and creamy. Add butter one slice at a time and continue to whisk.

*If adding extra flavor, whisk it in now.

Add shortening and whip on high 10 - 12 minutes until almost doubling in volume.

Happy Baking!

3 comments:

  1. BROOKE! your monkey on a pile of bananas is amazing ... and hilarious. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We dispute the "no artistic ability" claim, but need to see the Sea Otter cake too to make sure. How 'bout it? Plus a close-up of cake #1!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No artistic ability!? You are one of the most creative people I know! You never cease to impress me with your cakes and costumes.
    Thanks for these recipes.

    ReplyDelete